BIM coordination by Costin Roe Consulting ensures that construction project documentation will be properly managed from start to finish.
How does BIM coordination work?
The service can be customised to suit individual project requirements. The following outline of activities provides an example of the BIM coordination service options available from Costin Roe Consulting:
- BIM Project Brief: Prior to documentation commencing a BIM Project Brief meeting between disciplines/consultants and builders/clients will take place to establish the scheduling, naming conventions, model co-ordinates, file transfer methods, BIM version to be used, and to identify which worksets we can utilise during project documentation. This will ensure that co-ordination runs smoothly by confirming that each discipline knows what their role and responsibility on the project is, and how best to achieve that for the client.
- Client Needs: Client involvement at the BIM Project Brief meeting will allow determination of the level & extent of documentation required for the project to ensure that the client’s needs are satisfied. This can include the below:
- Clash Detection: This can be done through Navisworks to check various disciplines to ensure there are no issues once construction on-site begins. Also opens dialogue between consultants to ensure client gets a fully integrated and co-ordinated model.
- Scheduling: Creating smart schedules for quantities to help both client and stakeholder requests (eg: steel orders, concrete batch orders)
- Development: Helping to shape clients BIM needs for the future by frequent discussions and ongoing support on any BIM project, so that future projects can run smoothly by utilising the BIM environment.
- 4D: Moving toward ensuring the progression into the 4D BIM environment which allows us to move into Project Phasing and animation simulations to establish construction sequencing.
- Milestones: Working closely with the builder’s Design Management team the Costin Roe BIM department can ensure that nominated milestones are met, thereby ensuring that builder/client requirements are being achieved.
The long-term advantages of BIM coordination
Proper BIM coordination of project documentation enables the future use of project documentation data. Clients inherit the asset of the BIM database for their completed building. This database can be used for more efficient client facility management, and as a ‘live’ reference for any future expansion or modification of the facility as clients’ requirements arise.
BIM coordination by Costin Roe Consulting ensures harmonisation and proper coordination on the project, helping to grow relationships between all consultants working on the project, and maintaining best practice in the way BIM is being used.
Established leaders in BIM
Costin Roe Consulting is always at the forefront of engineering technology, and was among the first engineering firms in Australia to make the transition from CAD to the more sophisticated BIM environment. Members of Costin Roe’s BIM department have taken part in Consult Australia’s discussions towards implementing a BIM mandate in Australia. The firm is involved with the Digital Built Environment Task Group to ensure the industry’s BIM needs are identified and met.